Wednesday, August 29, 2012

DIY - Framed heArt Work

Please excuse my pic quality- I had to use my phone because my camera batteries died

As you already know, I am in the middle of re-doing A's room.  I'm trying to do it as cheap resourceful, as possible.  I honestly bought 3 of these frames to use in my dining room make-over, but as I said before that I am picky, so I haven't come across exactly what I wanted to put in them yet.  So, since these were laying around, and since I needed white frames for her room anyways, I stole these. (Just don't tell my dining room, ok?)

I found these beauties at Walmart for $12.  Sure, they might be great if I was going for the whole "beach theme", but, I'm not, and it isn't at all my style, but I love the simplicity of the frame.   When you have a bold color, and a lot of patterns going on, a simple white frame is the perfect way to modernize any wall.


This is a super easy project.  I am going to be using all 3 of them for her room, but a certain someone was requiring my attention, so I finished one, and put it down for the night.  You will get to see all of them together when I reveal her whole room.

What I did, was took the beach picture, and basically turned it around, so I would have a completely white paper. 



Since I love my daughter helping with my projects, and since it was for her room, I figured the best option was to let her display her art work with these.

I had her use 3 colors (pink, lime green and purple) on regular copy paper.  I told her to just go crazy scribbling 1 color at a time on each paper.  Of course, she refuses to scribble now, because her sophistication only allows her to write little letters, and draw circles. 



And I would have to confess that she wasn't interested after the pink and half of the purple, so I finished with the same idea.  Then I had to fill them in more so they weren't as white.  So I guess, now that I think of it, she will have my scribbly art all over the wall.

NOTE:  If you want an even cleaner look, you could use some cute scrapbook paper.  I just like the idea of it looking youthful.

So the next step is so incredibly elementary.  It was time to make the hearts.  This will amaze and astonish you, but what I did was fold the paper in half, then cut out a half heart, unfold it and it was a perfect heart!  WOW! (Excuse my sarcasm, but I can't explain it to you like you would have no idea about that little trick.)  I used the first heart cut out as a guide to cut out the other two, so they were all the same size and shape to keep with the modern design.  Modern design is all about uniformity.



I got really lucky about 7 or 8 years ago when my husband bought me a huge set of scrap booking stuff.  I have to say that I never really had the chance to use it, but I went into it the other day and discovered tons of pages of letters of all colors and patterns you can think of.  If you aren't so lucky, you could trace the letters with stencils, or if you are really awesome, you can just use your own amazing hand writing. 

Next, put everything (heart and letters) on the back of the original poster, and arrange it to your liking.  Make sure that everything is centered and level.  If you need to use a level or measuring tape, I would suggest that.  Especially when you are working on your second and third to make sure that they will all match.

 

The next step may be different depending on your needs, or how often you change your mind.  I would suggest using glue, but since I am in the mind changer category, I used double sided tape to secure all of my pieces.  I figured if I got tired of the scribbles and wanted to use the cute scrap booking paper, then it would be pretty easy to change out.  Plus once it's in the frame, it will stay put anyway, but of course, you want something there for security purposes. 

And there you have it folks, a $12 piece of art that has the love of me and my daughter in it.  Like I say, once all 3 are done, I will be showing you them in the room reveal. And again, please excuse the horrible picture quality since these were taken with my phone.  I promise I will buy batteries before the big reveal!


Tata,
Emily

3 comments: